Excellent Radio is coming back! United Way has received a construction permit to create a 100 watt, non-profit, low power radio station in the South County. The call letters will be KYXZ-LP and will reside at 107.9 FM on the radio dial. That’s the very top!
Excellent Radio (1995-98) was among the early pioneers of the movement to create a process by which communities could legally apply for positions on the publicly owned airwaves. The station was created as a model that became an inspiration to many other communities throughout the United States.
In 1998 the Grover Beach City Council issued an official proclamation recognizing Excellent Radio for broadcasting City Council meetings for three years and providing:
- “A forum for community members to discuss local issues”
- “A diverse cultural selection of musical entertainment”
- “Easy and convenient access to local government information”
- “Educating and entertaining members of the community”
Today, through a coming together of groups like The United Way of SLO with friends and advocates for the local county libraries, the likelihood of successful community strengthening is huge!
The new Excellent Radio will be dedicated to fostering:
- Cross–Generational respect
- Cultural Literacy
- Recognition of the Libraries as the centerpiece of the community (The Commons)
- Mentoring through United Way’s outreach programs of Health, Education and Income
The creation of this station will have a lot to do with the overall strengthening and educating our community for years to come. What better gift for our children could we give today?
All donations will go through United Way SLO. To make a donation you can write a check or go to unitedwayslo.org and in the donor designation area type in “Five Cities Low Power FM Radio Station.”
Change won’t happen without you.